Social entrepreneur, speaker & author
I’m a pragmatic optimist. I’m excited about what is happening as a global digitally native and socially switched-on generation grows up. Despite the immense challenges now it seems like there are more potential solutions than ever. I’ve been fortunate to travel, learn and try some of these ideas.
By the age of 20 I had…
- Climbed Kilimanjaro
- Joined WWF
- Sailed as a trainee on a Tall Ship expedition
- Spent a year working at Australia outward bound school, Glengarry
- Rowed ‘head of the river’ as part of college team
- Completed my Gold Duke of Edinburgh
- Decided I’d struggle with the 9-5
By the age of 25 I had….
- Run my first marathon
- Earned a degree
- Climbed in Peru
- Led expeditions and projects in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ghana, Fiji, Tonga & Trinidad with Madventurer
- Driven overland to Timbuktu a couple of times
- Spent 5 years based in North East England and despite it’s charms decided it was time to move on so…
By the age of 30 I had…
- Founded Tribewanted & moved to Vorovoro Island, Fiji
- Learnt to love ‘Kava’, spear-fishing, and island life
- Written and published a book on Tribewanted Vorovoro
- Been part of BBC Doc on Tribewanted: Paradise or Bust
- Won enterprise, digital media awards and responsible tourism accolades
- Been described by Nat Geo as ‘The Sergey Brin of the South Pacific’ Ha!
- Spoke at events around the world including CIA gathering in Las Vegas…
- Learnt that the internet was the most powerful tool at our fingertips
- Run Marathons in London, Paris & New York
Now at 33 I have…
- Co-founded Tribewanted’s second project at John Obey Beach, Sierra Leone
- Helped kick-start the Craig Bellamy Foundation in SL
- Worked with Right to Dream on youth leadership development in Ghana
- Helped launch the Fair Trade Volunteering campaign
- Became a Founding Participant at THNK: The Amsterdam School of Creative Leadership
- Worked with Escape the City to free frustrated corporates
- Launched Tribewanted’s Community Interest Company & new community in Umbria, Italy
- Tried Ultra Running and discovered I enjoyed it
- Smarta 100 best businesses, 2010. Interview
- Future 100, Striding Out, 2008
- OBSERVER Courvoisier The Future 500, 2007. Podcast
- UK Entrepreneur of the Year, Finalist 2007
- Digital & Design Industry Awards, Winner Grand Prix & Most Innovative Project
- Winner Best Social Network, Broadcast Digital Media Awards June 2008
- Nominated: Virgin Responsible Tourism Awards 2008 & 2009 – ‘Conservation of Cultural Heritage
Since my Dad took my brother and I for a night camping at the Bearded Lake in North Wales when we were toddlers I’ve always tried to get ‘out there’ as much as possible.
Tribewanted has given me great opportunity to live outdoors as much as possible but village building and running online business has stopped me from heading off on bigger expeditions. But I keep planning to go.
March 2013: Greenman run around Bristol (47 miles)
November 2012: Picket Point, Sierra Leone in flip-flops. Bruised feet but less slipping around than in big boots. ‘Barefoot’ trekking!
November 2012: Gower Peninsula Ultra (34 miles – 6 hrs 25)
September 2012: Ilha Grande treks, Brazil
August 2012: First attempt at Ultra (50 miles) over the hills & bogs of Northumberland.
June 2012: First off-road marathon with Giles Dawnay, Anglessey Coast Path, Wales.
September 2011: Picket Point, Western Peninsula, Sierra Leone (thick bush!)
January 2011: Road trip Freetown – Liberia (and back) with Tribewanted
July 2009: Climbing Two Thumb range, New Zealand with Giles Dawnay
2008: Udu Point (dateline), Vanua Levu, Fiji with Tribewanted
2000 – 2005: 3 peaks challenge with Madventurer
2000-2002: Mt.Kenya 3 times with Madventurer
September 2000: Mt.Pisco, Peru with Dad & Brother
August 1998: Kilimanjaro with Dad & Brother
1997: Tall Ship training expedition around Canary Islands
1984: Bearded Lake, North Wales with Dad & Brother
Two thumb range, NZ ’09
Favourite current adventurers…
Al Humphries – around the world cyclist, fountain of knowledge and entertaining speaker
Ed Stafford – walked the Amazon.
Sarah Outen – around the world in a boat
Chris Jackson – 12 marathons in 12 months
Dave Cornthwaite – 25 x 1000 mile human-powered expeditions
Ben Saunders – the true modern polar explorer